THE HERITAGE HUT ON WALBERSWICK GREEN ☜ For updates,click Reports
The Heritage Hut, which is owned by the Walberswick Parish Council, stands on the Village Green. It was originally built as a Congregational Church in the 1880's. It has since been used at various times for the Village School, a Working Man's Club, a Youth Club, the St John's Ambulance, and as a SC&H's Heritage Centre. It has played a key role in the history of Walberswick.
The ownership of the Heritage Hut was passed from the Suffolk County Council to the Walberswick Parish Council in 2012. Although it has been underused for some time, the WPC has actively persued ways of improving the condition and facilities of the Heritage Hut in order to bring it again into the life of the Village, mainly by rebuilding the existing rear single-storied extension. This has involved providing insulation, fire protection, improved security, heating, a WC, telephone and W-Fi connections, and most importantly, disabled access.
In April 2019 the Parish Council leased the Heritage Hut to the Walberswick Common Lands Charity who took over the refurbishment and its future management. As originally envisaged,The Heritage Hut will be a permanent home for the Walberswick Scroll and its presentation. It will also become the headquarters of the WPC, the WCLC and the Walberswick Local History Group as well as providing a suitable home for its archives. It will be for general communal use by the Village and continue to act as HQ on Fête Day.
The attractive internal character of the existing main room will be carefully preserved.
The single-storied rear extension before
The single-storied rear extension after.
The entrance before
And the entrance after.